Best Low-Carb Guides for 2023
Clinician-approved, carb-appropriate guides for patient education
Here are some overviews of low carbohydrate eating plans for you to use in your patient education. These are all variations on carbohydrate reduction. Choose the guide that is consistent with your patient care philosophy…
Note – Ketogenic Diet Therapies (KDT) have different therapeutic guidelines. They may use both ketones and combating insulin resistance as mechanisms of action. Therapeutic Carbohydrate Reduction (TCR) relies more heavily on combating insulin resistance as a mechanism of action.
Guides currently used by Metabolic Multiplier clinicians & scientists
These practicing low-carb clinicians and scientists use an array of guides, which they are generously sharing with the community. We don’t want you to waste time reinventing the wheel.
These guides are best for educating patients with insulin resistance
- Clever Eats: Progressive Steps towards Metabolic Health Includes guidance for: Patient Education. Progressive steps. Nutrients. Satiety and Hunger. Intermittent fasting. Ultra-processed foods. By Juan Carlos Torres-Urrutia, MD with edits by David Pendergrass, PhD & Nick Norwitz PhD, and Metabolic Multiplier’s Education teams
- Our Low Carb – The basics – David Crutchfield, MD
- Eat the Butter Mix and match, interactive TCR plates patients can visually construct healthful dinner combinations. Jennifer Calihan & Adele Hite, MPH RD.
- “Low Carb on any Budget – A Low-carb Shopping and Recipe Starter Begin a Life Free of Dieting and Indulge Yourself in Health” patient guide- Print and share with your patients. Mark Cucuzzella, MD & Kristie Sullivan, PhD.
Round up of relevant guides from respected sources
- Diet Doctor
- Visual low-carb guides – gorgeous visuals make it easy and form the backbone of their overview on Low-Carb diets for beginners
- Diet Doctor’s guides for healthcare professionals and their Patient Education Guides. A veritable treasure trove of evidence-based materials.
- Mark Cucuzzella, MD. “Low Carb on any Budget – A Low-carb Shopping and Recipe Starter Begin a Life Free of Dieting and Indulge Yourself in Health” patient guide– Print and share with your patients
- Eric Westman, MD’s Page 4. Dr. Westman worked with Dr. Atkins. Since he is one of the pioneers we’ve included his version even though it is available for a modest fee. He recently published End your Carb Confusion from Adapt your Life Academy
- Low Carb 4 Families – Offer both a low-carb guide and free recipes. Beautiful layout. Easy recipe formulas. Great starting point. Links to Facebook support group. Moderate carb options including fruit & yogurt. “Low-Carb Healthy-Fat living for all budgets and families: (real food, low cost, family friendly)” New Zealand
- Ketogenic Diet Resource: Change your diet change your life. “Once you have a good understanding about the diet and are ready to start, download my Basic Ketogenic Diet Plan” by Ellen Davis, Masters in Applied Nutrition
- Virta Health’s The Ten Defining Characteristics of a Well-Formulated Ketogenic Diet
Visual guides for “what do I eat”
- There are a bunch of plates & pyramids. Some of the creators might be open to feedback
- Eat the Butter Mix and match, interactive Therapeutic Carbohydrate Reduction (TCR) plates patients can visually construct healthful dinner combinations. Jennifer Calihan & Adele Hite, MPH RD.
- DiabetesMealPlans.com – Low Carb food pyramid and nice resources
- Diet Doctor’s Visual low-carb guides – gorgeous visuals make it easy and form the backbone of their overview on Low-Carb diets for beginners
Other round up guides on Metabolic Multiplier
Curious about improving metabolic health with lifestyle?
- Lifestyle Medicine, the key to metabolic healing
- What is metabolic health? A layperson’s definition and a biochemist’s perspective
Where do I start improving my metabolic health?
- Prediabetes & type 2 diabetes: Your patient toolkit
- What to eat? Get clever! Clinicians’ flexible approach to tailoring carb reduction to you.
- Want more detail on carbohydrate reduction? A round-up of quality, what-to-eat guides from around the web
- Best resources for an overview of keto – Metabolic Multiplier’s round up of the best resources we’ve found by evidence-based organizations & clinicians
- Keto doctors near me – over 20 directories of low-carb professionals
- Best Keto resources for clinicians & other practitioners
- How to build my ketogenic therapy treatment team – Support for the more complex cases.
- Why write medical case reports about unique cases? – Our round up can save you time.
For colleagues interested in amplifying metabolic health
- Overview schematics help us think about metabolic health – Understand our Organizing Research team’s thinking behind Nutrition Network’s Organizing metabolic health research portal
- Communication guide to unite advocacy for metabolic health – Suggested language metabolic health advocacy. Principles. Language to use or avoid. Food & lifestyle first.
- Style Guide to unite advocacy for metabolic health – Welcome new team members! Many of you encourage using one voice for metabolic health. Below are suggestions from your fellow clinicians, scientists and professionals. See our Communication Guide as well. We’d love to hear…
- What Foundations support Metabolic Health? Foundations, advocacy & grassroots groups using metabolic interventions & health to treat metabolic conditions.