What charities support metabolic health?
Foundations’ strategic planning efforts enhance the likelihood of large donations to our space. For example, groups supporting metabolic health can share lessons learned. Build on Metabolic Health Communication Guide, existing guidelines for ketogenic diet therapies, and Agree to Disagree lists.
Perhaps, a summit of metabolic health foundations, advocacy groups and grass-roots organizations could be very helpful. Perhaps start with a call in January of 2021 or an established organization like IPTN sharing their lessons learned. What organizations might be interested or helpful in this effort? We welcome comments, suggestions and additions below!
Using metabolic interventions and health to treat metabolic conditions. Might have a geographic focus.
- Nutrition Network – an education, connection and learning platform for healthcare practitioners across all disciplines. Funded by The Noakes Foundation and affiliated with Eat Better South Africa. South Africa.
- Society for Metabolic Health Practitioners (SMHP) – Directory of practitioners. Accreditation. Promoting a Standard of Care. Doug Reynolds. U.S.
Metabolic health services, education and advocacy groups
- Charlie Foundation for Ketogenic Therapies specializes in medical ketogenic diet therapies. Roots in epilepsy and used for a variety of metabolic conditions. Jim Abrahams. U.S.
- Institute for Personalized Therapeutic Nutrition (IPTN) – a healthier society choosing a personalized ‘food first’ approach to optimize health and prevent or reverse disease.” Sean McKelvey, BSc(Pharm). An officially registered charity.n Canada.
- Responsible Foods: Go Beyond the Label – shape the way food is produced, marketed and distributed. Robert Lustig. U.S.
- Matthew’s Friends – Specializing in medical ketogenic diet therapies since 2004. Roots in epilepsy, neurological and metabolic disorders, and emerging cancer types. Emma Williams. U.K. (Europe & Commonwealth countries.
- Metabolic Health Solutions – Provide the technology and metabolic health services that change peoples lives every day, through weight loss, reduced medication, improved fitness and great health. Australia.
- Public Health Collaboration. Informing Healthy Decisions for better Public Health. Sam Feltham. (David Unwin is closely affiliated) U.K.
- X-pert Health – Educate not Medicate. Prevention and remission of Diabetes and other long-term medical conditions. U.K.
Reducing sugar & ultra processed food (UPF) intake
- Eat Real.org – Increasing real food access and education. Professor Robert Lustig, MD. U.S.
- Sugar by Half. People live better, stronger and healthier lives through the reduction of sugar-related diseases. Australia
- SUGARbriety 501(c) on Facebook. “Saving the world from sugar addiction.” 501(c)(3) international nonprofit organization. Led by Ben Fury.
- Public Health Collaboration. (above) Houses David Unwin MD’s popular sugar charts that compare the sugar content of various foods in teaspoons.
Metabolic health services (Narrower focus)
- Metabolic Mind – revolution in mental health. – The medical ketogenic diet for treatment-resistant mental illness. (Schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar
- Nutrition and Metabolism Society – Researching keto for cancer. Richard Feinman, Eugene Fine & Dan Pincus. 501(c)(3). U.S.
- Canadian Clinicians for Therapeutic Nutrition – Using nutrition to improve health. Helping put Metabolic Disease into Remission. Single country focus. Canada.
Metabolic health services (Not necessarily low-carb)
- Beat Obesity Now Foundation – Treatment of obesity and its related comorbid conditions. Clinical research, physician and patient education, grants and community outreach programs. CT? USA.
Funding scientific research
Difference.Foundation – Quantitative science fund focused on root causes of metabolic dysfunction. Eric Smythe, MD. Stichting. The Netherlands.
Trustfood.org – Promote science of metabolism. Relationship of diet & health through large-scale intensive measurements. Supports Meterbolic.org. Eric Smythe. The Netherlands.
The KetogenicFoundation.org – Funding Education, Medical Research, and Information Sharing. Dorian Greenow & Gemma Kochis, founders of Keto-Mojo. 501(c)(3) U.S.
The Noakes Foundation – Funds rigorous research. South Africa. U.S.
Social justice angle
- Eat Better South Africa – outreach branch reaching the underserved. Funded by The Noakes Foundation and affiliated with Nutrition Network. South Africa.
- Food4Health – Food for Every American. Ensuring that U.S. nutrition guidance is reliable and works for all Americans. Note this group does not take a position on diet and some members are not particularly in favor of low-carb. U.S.
Metabolic health adjacent.
- Citizen Science Foundation – Unlimited Ideas Bring Unlimited Possibilities. 501(c)(3). Dave Feldman. Siobhan Huggins. U.S. Cofounders of Own Your Labs with proceeds going to the charity.
- Foundation for Alternative and Integrative Medicine: Create a revolution in worldwide healthcare. – Mark Hyman
- Crossfit, Ancestral Health Society, Paleo FX, Paleo Magazine,
Advocacy and grassroots groups
- Low Carb Action Network, – “Advocating for a true low-carb diet to be added to the official Dietary Guidelines for Americans as a viable dietary option. Mark Cuccuzzella, Executive Director. Antonio Martinez (Member of their Scientific Advisory Council.) Sometimes referred to as L-CAN.
- Nutrition Coalition – For dietary policy based on rigorous science. Nina Teicholz. U.S.
- Food4Health – (See in social justice.)
- Metabolic Multiplier – Curate & amplify metabolic interventions. Volunteer editors: Mani Malagon, Christie Barnett, Cecile Seth. U.S.
[…] What Foundations support Metabolic Health? […]