Dr. Sethi is a: Founding Director, Flagship Metabolic Psychiatry Program. Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine. Principal Investigator. She has a clinical practice with Silicon Valley Metabolic Psychiatry.
Dr. Sethi's approach to psychiatric treatment incorporates detection and treatment of metabolic abnormalities, principles of obesity medicine, nutrition and metabolism. She was awarded funding by the Obesity Treatment Foundation and Baszucki Brain Foundation as principal investigator to study the effectiveness of a low - carbohydrate ketogenic dietary intervention in an outpatient cohort of patients with obesity or metabolic dysfunction overlapping with bipolar illness or schizophrenia.
She is also a co-investigator on a pilot randomized clinical trial testing an FDA-approved obesity medication for binge-eating disorder and bulimia nervosa at Stanford University funded by SPARK. She is a recipient of the Kuen Lau Bipolar Research Award and the Symonds Fellow Award from the Association of Women Psychiatrists for innovation in psychiatry and contributions to women’s health. She is a member of the Obesity Medicine Association, the American Psychiatric Association, and served on the council of the Northern California Psychiatric Association.
Awards - Winner of a prestigious Metabolic Mind grant in fall 2022.
A Facebook Group. Visible for anyone to find but Private so that only members can see who is in the group and what they post. Created in 2019 with over 500 members.
This is a group uniquely created to share community and valuable resources with you regarding metabolic and mental health. It is also linked to a web resource tool we are creating for a public education-focused initiative to describe the emerging discipline of Metabolic Psychiatry and translate the latest global science distilled in an easier to understand format. Stanford is home to the world's first Metabolic Psychiatry Program, founded by Dr. Shebani Sethi. We are among a small, but growing group of passionate researchers and advocates around the world who wish to advance clinical care and the research field over time.
Their aims (January 2023)
1. To create a dedicated space for community members to connect and provide educational content about the link between metabolic and mental health2. To provide and translate the latest research in metabolic psychiatry empowering members with actionable insight3. To offer support and general concepts, not specific medical advice, to those affected by changes across nutrition, metabolism, and mental health that can improve one’s quality of life.
Metabolic psychiatry experts (In addition to Dr. Shebani)
- Psychiatrist Dr. Chris Palmer Harvard Medical School
- Psychiatrist Dr. Georgia Ede, MD
- Metabolic Mind - Not-for-profit building a mental - metabolic movement
Related blog posts from Metabolic Multiplier
- How to build my ketogenic therapy treatment team
- Best resources for carb-reduction therapies
- Ketogenic diet helps twins improve schizophrenic symptoms
- Save time! 3 metabolic health research portals - Help you review the published scientific literature for yourself