Nutrition-related legal, legislative, & regulatory team
October meeting takeaways:
Attendees: Antonio Martinez, Nina Teicholz, Dan Pincus, David Pendergrass, & Cecile Seth Nina Teicholz, Executive Director of the Nutrition Coalition. Antonio Martinez, Low-Carb Action Network. Also, Cecile Seth & Daniel Pincus.
Advocacy groups, Nutrition Network & Low-Carb Action Network have two asks of the LC community.
Ask your followers & patients to write their congressman with these 2 asks during 2020.
- Low-Carb Action Network and Nutrition Coalition have asked for short term assistance between now and the end of December. You, your patients and friends can take action here or here. It will take 2 minutes–and it’s worth your time!
- Make two asks in letters to your congressman. Page links for this are forthcoming.
- Dietary guidelines need to have a giant caveat stating that they are only for healthy Americans.
- The dietary guidelines should not be the sole guidance for USDA Feeding Assistance Programs. These programs serve populations with higher rates of metabolic diseases. For example, the poor, children, seniors, and those on Indian reservations.
Lift limits on saturated fats?
“Limit on Saturated Fats is Unnecessary, says “State-of-the-Art Review” in Journal of American College of Cardiology ” argues a Nutrition Coalition press release based on this BMJ paper on Saturated fats.
Consider how race, ethnicity and socio-economic status affect dietary patterns!
The Food4Health Alliance Report: Limitations of the Evidence on Race, Ethnicity, and Socio-economic Status in the Report by the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.
MHA Legal, Legislative, & Regulatory – Future Team
Wish list for future topics
- Coordinate efforts with hospitals that want to support metabolic health initiatives. Opportunities for promotion and synergy. Offer low-carb options for patients and their clinicians to choose.
- How do we transition from today’s sick-care (symptom driven interventions) to preventative health care? How do we make health span equal lifespan?
- Insurance companies: Encourage development of actuary tables that reflect the effect of metabolic health on life span and overall costs.
Generously provided input on the following
- How might we approach metabolic health definitions?
- What Foundations support Metabolic Health? Encouraging them to meet in a metabolic health Summit
- Supporting Metabolic Health in Communities of Color
For Bios see Thank you to Metabolic Health Alliance Volunteers
For Teams See our September meeting round up.
Let us know where you’d like to help!